Monday, June 24, 2013

Making and Using Hexagon Templates for Fabulous Fussy Cuts

My tutorial on making tools for fussy cutting hexagons is now posted. It is called Making and Using Hexagon Templates for Fabulous Fussy Cuts and you will find it under the Tips and Tutorials tab.

I make and use these tools in hexagon shapes but they also work with other shapes.
I this close-up I've used diamonds and hexagons together. Use the techniques I discussed in my post about constructing, deconstructing and reconstructing hexagons. You can read it here.


If you examine the quilt above closely you will see that some of the hexagons are constructed of three diamonds. I appliqued bees on the lavender blue blocks just because I like them. I wrote a tutorial on making bees and it is posted under Tips and Tutorials.

When you have your fussy cut hexagons audition them in different positions. You might try the motif to the outside or the side or the inside. Each will look different. In the example below you can see that the same motif turned yields a different block.


Here are a few more examples of one fussy cut hexagon arranged in six different ways. Some are more appealing than others but you won't know that unless you play around!



 





Experiment with your fabrics and these tools which are easy to make and they are free so if they don't work for you, no great loss!

Today is the last day for voting in Quilting Gallery's Show and Tell. The theme this week is embroidered quilts and my Mom entered one of hers, In My Garden. There are some very lovely quilts entered. You can see them all and vote for your favourites here!

And look what is out in the garden today!

Deadly Nightshade

Swamp Milkweed

Milkweed (for the Monarch butterflies)

Saskatoon Berries Ripening!

Until I post again, happy sewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment