Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Constructing, deconstructing and reconstructing the hexagon, Saturn rock and more!

The hexagon…..a simple six side shape with all kinds of possibilities! The six sides are equilateral. I’m not a math genius but I know that a circle is 360o. Since there are six sides to a hexagon this means there are six angles so if we divide 360o by 6 each angle in each corner is 60o. This is interesting, helpful and necessary information if you want to construct your own hexagon patterns. That may be the subject of another post but not today – today we are going to take the hexagon apart (deconstruct) and put it back together (reconstruct)!


There are many ways to deconstruct a hexagon but today I will show you two simple methods along with a couple of suggestions as to how to reconstruct them. A hexagon can be divided into three diamonds. We know that all of the angles will be 60o and the sides will all measure the same length. Three diamonds make a hexagon!
 

Use three diamonds and fussy cut the fabric to reconstruct hexagons that looks like this!
 


Six diamonds make a star motif.

 
Another six diamonds to fill in the spaces brings you back to the basic hexagon but it will be considerably larger than the original hexagon.
 

And you can make interesting hexagons. Here are a few examples!
 




Do some of these fabrics look familiar? They should…I used this fabric to make Flora and Fauna, Partsof the Garden!

The second deconstruction I will show is this: divide the hexagon into six triangles! Note that if you put two triangles together it takes you back to a diamond shape. More on that another day! For now here is the hexagon divided.
 

And here is an example of what you might do with the triangles!


And now for the “Saturn Rock” part of my post, I present a curio from Misery Bay on Manitoulin Island. About 16 years ago we were hiking with a gaggle of kids and one of the lads came across a very unusual rock. We all remarked that it looked like the planet Saturn hence the name! I fell in love with it but it was heavy and the hike back was very long, hot and bug infested so we had to leave it behind. The next morning I went out on the cottage deck and there was Saturn rock! One of the young lads knew how much I wanted the rock so he stuffed it in his backpack and lugged it all the out. During the night he came to our cottage and delivered it! We’ve said that we will save the rock and when he settles down in his own home we will give it to him as a house warming gift! Isn’t it interesting? It now lives in our garden just waiting for its new home!
 


And last of all, the Siberian irises are blooming. Yesterday they were just buds and today they have burst open in a riot of purple! They are so lovely!

 
Until I post again, happy sewing!

15 comments:

  1. Beautiful deconstructions! There is quite a bit of geometry in quilt making isn't there?
    Lovely fabric choices too for the fussy cutting.
    Hilda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hilda - there certainly is a lot of geometry and math in quilt making but but I find many quilters don't realize that! Glad you like the reconstructed hexagons! I do too! They are so much fun and you can have a great time experimenting with your fabrics!

      Delete
  2. Very interesting, I've been thinking about diamonds in a hexy a lot lately, but I was wondering how to draw them, now I know! thankyou :-)

    Love the rock. I once fell in love with a gnarled piece of tree stump and every day I carried it a bit closer to home, but had to leave it in the end. I regret that, as it would have looked beautiful all smoothed and oiled.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad the how-tow was helpful! Now go forth and make lots of diamonds and stars!

      You are a girl after my own heart! We have stumps too! For me there is nothing more beautiful or inspirational than natura elements!

      Delete
  3. I just love the rock...I have never seen anything like it. It should come in the house during the winter. It would look great sitting on a mirror.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Saturn rock has another large rock to keep it company so they would both have to come in for the winter! And then what about the tree stumps? No, I think they'l all just have to tough it out in the garden all winter!

      Delete
  4. Thank you for the deconstruction and reconstruction of hexagons lesson, Karen, you are amazing and an inspiration.
    Love the rock too.
    Grace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Grace! The only thing better than being excited about whatever it is you do is to get others excited about it and maybe trying it out themselves!

      Delete
  5. Your work is amazing, I too love the hexagons. I have a few that I made but are still on my work table. I bought the books One Block Wonder and made a couple of those quilts. I signed up to follow you. I saw your quilt and voted for you on Quilt Gallery.
    Bunny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the support Bunny! I'll do my best to keep my blog lively and informative!

      One Block Wonders are certainly a lot of fun but there is so much pressing involved! The arms get a workout!

      Delete
  6. Oops I forgot I love the rock story. A great memory of your hike.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been following your hexie tutes with great interest Karen. Dare I say it, but I quite like the whole maths thing lol! I think it's the symmetry - I feel kinda comfortable with it, if that makes sense. Your tutorials are fantastic - thank you for being so generous with your knowledge and ideas

    I love the story about the rock. What a sweet kid to bring it back for you like that. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your work is amazing !!!!
    I love hexagons so much. You give me a lot of inspiration.
    Greetings Grit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Grit! My goal was to share what I've learned with others and my hope was that they too would be inspired to create their own unique pieces! I am so happy I was able to do that! Now go and make something fabulous!
      Karen

      Delete