Thursday, July 2, 2015

Parrot, arrows & diamonds

The top section of Green Parrot is now put together. I still have to decide what I will do with the border. I had better decide soon! I am constructing my quilt (as always) in sections. The bottom will be identical to the top, and then there are the sides. You've seen the middle section which is now stitched together.


I'll add the sides to the middle section once they are constructed so there will be three pieces, the top (as shown above), the bottom and the middle. It is at that point that I will decide what to do with the border. I'll make it and attach it to the sections. It is much easier to work with the sections rather than adding the border to the entire quilt top. The sewing is going fast now so it won't be long until I need to decide on the border.

I teased you with a picture of the middle of an old hexagon quilt that I started many years ago.


This one deserves to be finished so it has been added to the current pile of projects. Want to see what the entire top looks like? Well here it is! My working name for this quilt top is diamonds and arrows. Before you people get too carried away I have to tell you that this quilt is MUCH easier to construct that you think. The hexagons are 1" and I foundation pieced on the hexagon paper before continuing in the usual method of English paper piecing. There are lots of tutorials on my blog about this technique. Just click on the tab English Paper Piecing Instructions & Hexagon Fun. If you don't find what you are looking for just ask. I'll can add a link to a tutorial OR I can write a new tutorial to explain what I did and how I did it!


My plan is to add another border of the dark brown  spikes before adding more hexagon stars. If I were to make this again there are some changes I would make but for the most part I am happy with what I've done.

On June 28 I shared some of the things I do to help speed up the process of sewing. Bees Knees Granny was kind enough to share what she does and it is brilliant! She wrote "My focus for needle threading is best at the beginning of the session. I use a Clover needle dome to hold up to ten threaded needles. Great for travel, too. Whether using the needle dome or a pincushion, I knot the thread as I thread each needle, then pull the thread so the knot is right up against the eye. The thread never falls out of the needle while stored this way--just remember to pull the knot down before beginning to sew!" Great tip and one which I'm going to use.


Until I post again, happy sewing.
Karen H

7 comments:

  1. I often thread several needles and knot them right away to take with me when I travel so I do not have to use scissors or try to thread a needle on an airpolan. I had a pair of scissors taken at security in Adelaide back in April. I never thought to pull the needle through to the knot. It makes sense and the needle will not fall off. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a gorgeous quilt - it's definitely time to get out of the UFO pile.
    I also love my needle domes - yes, I have 2! One at home and one at work :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another beautiful quilt Karen, I really love that 'frame' of pink and green. I hate to put a dampener on the idea of loading up needles in advance but an experienced quilter (and a nurse) once cautioned me against doing that because to protect your hand health it is good to break up the sewing tasks like cutting thread, threading needles etc. to prevent repetitive strain on your muscles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that combination of reds and green, how delicious!
    I shall be using the tip about threading needles. I'm sure threading just half a dozen wouldnt cause injury, I am guilty of sewing for too long at a stretch, which I imagine is worse. Maybe I should impose a "sew with 6 needles in one sitting" rule!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. such a lovely quilt! It's really worth to finish it!
    Thank you for your quick sewing tipps.

    ReplyDelete