Butterscotch Ripple by Karen H 2013
The pattern instructs one to make a ring of hexagons and then applique them to a square of fabric. I'm sure that this works for many but I do things a little differently and today I'll share how I am going to make the seven framed prints!
The first step was to cut out paper hexagons that are the size of the fabric that will be surrounded by a ring of hexagons. I traced around this shape on a blank piece of paper. My goal was to create a window template that I could move around on my fabric to locate the part of the print I wanted to use and to make sure that the print was correctly positioned. I put some small pieces of double-sided tape on the wrong side of the window template.
I moved the window around on my fabric until I was happy with what I saw and then applied some pressure so that the tape would stick to the fabric. I used a Frixion pen to trace inside the window (you could use any fabric safe marker that you like).
The fabric was cut out with scissors leaving a generous 1/2" seam allowance all around.
I placed my ring of hexagons on the fabric lining up the inner edges of the ring with the lines that I drew with my Frixion pen. I used applique pins to hold the ring in place and then I thread basted it to the fabric but glue basting with a product such as Roxanne Glue Baste-It would work equally well.
I'll cut out the remaining six motifs, make the rings and thread baste them to the motifs. Then I'll have a little pile of hand sewing at the ready. But of course I had to sew just one to see how it will look! I've also added the background hexagons (I'll attach the same arrangement of background hexagons to each framed picture).
I love the idea of framing large prints with hexagons. It makes for a quilt that is much faster and easier to make and it is a wonderful way to use fabulous, large prints!
Also I've reached a decision about Birds in the Loft. I am removing two rows from the top section and two rows from the bottom section. The top section rows have been removed and the quilt stitched back together. I'm working on the bottom section. I always sew my rosettes, rows and sections in the same manner so if I have to do any amount of reverse sewing I know exactly how to do it! I'll post pictures of the edited Birds in the Loft when it is finished!
Until I post again, happy sewing!