Thursday, July 10, 2014

Yellow Bird

Several days ago I showed you a picture of my friend Babs' quilt that she calls Yellow Bird.


I still have it and can't stop looking at it. It is such a striking quilt. Now don't get me wrong, I've got more than enough to do (too much in fact) but this quilt is just screaming "QUILT ME". It isn't my quilt but what the heck - I'm quilting it! Sure hope Babs likes what I'm going to do to it!

I ditch quilted around every rosette and then quilted a feather wreath in the center. The only marking I did was a line for the spine of the feather.


Okay, I'm happy with this but now what? Echo quilting (three rounds) around the inside edge of the feathers and then I started filling the inside of the wreath with with random shapes and filler designs!


Here's a close-up for a better look!


I'm really enjoy doing this type of filler design because I quilt a pattern until I'm tired of it and then do something different. If I work myself into a small spot I might throw in some little circles so I can work my way out. It results in a complex design that is surprisingly easy! On March 28, 2014 I published instructions and step-by-step diagrams of how I do it. You will find the post here.


I'm a quilt-by-the-seat-of-my-pants kind of quilter so what next? I decided to echo outside the wreath with three rounds of echo quilting and I'll fill the area inside the black print border with large meandering feathers! Rather appropriate for a quilt called Yellow Bird!


This quilt is going very quickly and my new Juki and I are working as one! I won't have time to sew for the next three days so the rest of the quilting will have to wait!

Tomorrow I'll publish Block 7 in my Value Proposition Hexagon Quilt Along. I hope you like the block! I do; it is one of my favourites!

Until tomorrow, happy sewing!
Karen H

10 comments:

  1. Love this quilt! Your quilting is wonderful, this will be stunning once it's all finished!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a stunning quilt-and she will love your quilting-are all of those blue pieces appliqued on to the yellow?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you and your Juki have found your rhythm. It definitely shows in this quilt. It's stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is going to be gorgeous !!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sure Babs will love it. What a lucky girl she is!
    I wanted to ask the same question as the other Kathy, are the rosettes appliqued on?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Definitely a perfect example of how quilting takes a quilt from beautiful to drop-dead gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW! Karen! your quilting is fabulous. I like the way you quilt by the seat of your pants. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. Whats your address please - I want to send a quilt to show you - cough cough-
    we are friends now surely?
    lol
    Love what you doing to your friends quilt - what a wonderful friend you are!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looking fabulous, Karen! Just love what you are doing with that yellow bird quilt. Did you also ditch quilt around the individual hexies? Also what thread did you decide to use with the Juki? Storing up info on our babies.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's looking beautiful. Wish the inspiration for quilting came as easily to me as it does to you. Babs is a lucky lady to have you quilting her quilt.

    ReplyDelete