Saturday, July 19, 2014

Lozagons

I've added another round to the centre medallion of my hexagon quilt. Below is a picture of the original quilt from Lorraine's blog Granny Loz. It consists of a medallion of roses surrounded by two different hexagon snowflake designs. I like to name my quilts because it helps me identify them on my blog but also it helps me keep the project organized when I work on it! For now my working name is Lozagons!


I've made the rose piece for the medallion. Last night I attached the next round which consists of of off-white hexagons with pinks in the corners. The next step is to make six strips of four pink hexagons that will be stitched between the corner pinks. They are cut and basted and ready for stitching.


If you look closely at the  quilt the large snowflakes they consist of a solid in the centre, a round of six hexagons cut from a print, a round of twelve hexagons cut from a solid. There are two more rounds but for now I need to cut a variety of solids. They will be my jumping off point and from there I'll start selecting prints to go with them.

Close-up of block from original quilt courtesy of GrannyLoz 

I've cut 2" strips from solids. I also have a pile of old fabrics that I bought at a yard sale. I might use some of them to give the quilt a vintage feel!


For now I will cut strips of solids and a few prints that I plan on using. From each strip I will cut hexagons. I'll need 12 solids per snowflake block and there are 26 of them in the quilt. I'll pull out my little bags, one for each snowflake and store the hexagons in each. It will make for a nice portable project that I can take with me when I am out and about! I've prepped a little sewing kit that consists of a snowflake block in a bag, needles, small scissors and basting thread. All of this is packed up in the lovely sewing kit that I received from Bunny!


I'm also working on testing a pattern for a fellow blogger, Missie of Traditional Primitives. Missie drew her inspiration for the pattern from a spectacular antique quilt. I'm getting the hang of her method and can't wait until I have permission to share the blocks and quilt with you! If you just can't wait be sure to visit Missie's July 19 post where you can get a sneak peek of some of the blocks. She is also running a little giveaway so be sure to enter!

Until I post again, happy sewing!
Karen H

9 comments:

  1. it amazes me how fast you are with these hexies

    ReplyDelete
  2. you must have known I would cheat and go take a peek! EPP and appliqué, ooh how exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your roses block . It's so beautiful .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely roses hexagon snowflake!!

    Have a nice Sunday,
    Evelyne

    ReplyDelete
  5. This will be stunning when you finish...you are the most prolific hexi maker I have ever seen...how many of the teal hexagons will you need for this quilt? Your center medallion is just stunning and I am looking forward to seeing this one come along...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous roses. You are the Queen of fussy cutting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your rose hexies, yes, you are the queen of selective cutting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those roses are stunning, fussy cut as they are. What a completely successful idea! I'm still resisting fussy cutting EPP, but you are really doing some amazing work!

    ReplyDelete