Sunday, July 13, 2014

Hexagreens

I've had a busy weekend so far and there is more to come. That means not much time for blogging or sewing so today it will be quick! I was going through my pictures and I think I've given you sneak peeks at some of the blocks in my quilt Hexagreens so I thought I would share a few more. The name of my quilt comes from the fact that it is a scrap hexagon quilt. I used a fresh, lively green in the centre medallion and in the border to pull all the scraps together!

Hexagreens is an original design and it is made up of large hexagons that have been deconstructed and reconstructed to create some interesting designs. I wrote a little tutorial about constructing, deconstructing and reconstructing a hexagon. You can find it here.

If you start with a hexagon, in this case it was a large hexagon, it can be divided into three diamonds. 


Fussy cutting those diamonds will create interesting effects!


That same large hexagon can also be divided into twelve diamonds, six of which make a star and the remaining six fill in the edges.


In this block the fussy cuts were used for the outer diamonds. It gives the hexagon a different look!


I used these techniques to construct many of the hexagons in Hexagreens. Some of the large hexagons in this quilt were leftovers from another quilt (Mom's Flower Bed).  


I'll share more pictures of this quilt in the coming days an I'll also explain some of the techniques I used to construct this quilt. For now I'm off for more fun with friends. Hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to get back to quilting. Until then, happy sewing!
Karen H

7 comments:

  1. I agree with Kathy! Love, love the colors of this quilt too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have admired this quilt in the past and I'm very glad you showed it now, as my "star hexys" are still scowling down at me from the design wall. Instead of joining them with the triangles, I'm thinking maybe I should just make more!
    Eagerly looking forward to the next instalment. Enjoy your down-time with your friends.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What another fabulous work of yours !!!
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another amazing quilt! I've seen tumbling blocks before but not the fussy cut beauty of three diamonds - thanks for sharing, Karen!

    ReplyDelete