Wednesday, July 23, 2014

30 Minutes of Quilting

I've been procrastinating. I need to get back to quilting 81 The Giant Monstrosity.


It is registered in my Guild's quilt show in September and time is passing quickly. Instead of working on 81 I've worked on other projects some of which are not as pressing. For example I got the next round of hexagons stitched to Lozagons.


The next component will be little units that look like crowns and I'll make them with a solid faded aqua-turquoise. Each is made of eight hexagons. You can them  in the original quilt which I am sharing with you with the permission of Lorraine at Granny Loz.


I also continue to work on the pattern testing for Missie at Traditional Primitives and am having fun. I can't wait to show you what I am doing! Missie has shared a few tools with me and I am loving them. One of them is her Finger Stiletto. It allows you to prep your applique pieces and protect your finger from that hot iron! Missie sells these stilettos in her online shop.


Another item she sent is a mini bottle of Roxanne Glue-Baste-It. This is a product that I love and use but the mini bottle is so handy! Unlike the larger bottle the applicator doesn't have to be cleaned when I'm finished. I can just screw the top on the little bottle and I am done!

Roxanne Mini Glue-Baste-It

Oopsie - looks like I'm procrastinating again! I started telling you about 81 and was quickly off topic! Here's the problem: 81 is very big. It measures 92" x 95". I had already quilted around all of the hexagons and stars and quilted the border but I need to go back and fill in the background from the middle out. And it is quilting the middle that has been holding me back. I decided maybe if I just parsed the quilting out in manageable chunks of time I would get some quilting done and the task would not be quite so daunting. I set a timer for 30 minutes to see what I could do. I threaded my Juki TL2010Q domestic sewing machine and got going. I also knew that once I got started I would enjoy myself and I would be happy with the results; the Juki quilts like a dream and I am IN LOVE with it! The harp is 9", 2" smaller than my Janome 7700 but there is no problem getting this big quilt under the machine! And it quilts like a dream even over bulky seams like those at the corners of my hexagons.

My plan was to just doodle different shapes and designs and am thrilled with how 81 is shaping up. I had quilted the middle of the rosette hexagons and three of the six star points of each star but as I got going I decided the hexagons would need more quilting so more quilting they shall have! This is what I was able to do in 30 minutes!


Here is a closer look at some of the quilting. I am happy with what I've done so far. So happy that I think I'll set the timer for another 30 minutes of quilting!


I am partial to these pea pods. They are easy to quilt, can be made in any shape and I love they way they add texture!


So many fun and interesting projects and not enough hours in the day! Speaking of fun and interesting projects, Block 8 of my Value Proposition Hexagon Quilt Along will be posted early Friday morning and it is a beauty!

Until I post again, happy 30 minutes of quilting to you all!
Karen H

17 comments:

  1. Hi Karen: Your work always inspires me! That Finger Stiletto looks very interesting!!
    Can you share who it is made by?
    Kerry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow and double Wow Karen the butterflies and your quilting. I would suggest that you consider entering into some juried shows in the usa like the one in paducah, ky

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your quilt, love how your quilting it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. May I ask you where you get your fabric? I can't find anything even close to that pretty fabric in corpus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are a no reply-blogger so I have no way to contact you. I buy my fabric all over the place. There are no quilt shops left in my area but there is a fabric store and it carries quilting cottons so I buy from them on a regular basis (they don't do mail order). I also do a lot of shopping in merchant malls at quilt shows. When shopping for fabric I don't often have a project in mind...I just see something I like and buy it. However there are a number of places I like to shop online: Hancock's of Paducah, Thousands of Bolts, Fabric Shack, Quilt in a Day and eBay. Hope this helps!

      Delete
  5. Interesting your comment about the 9" harp area vs 11". I currently have a regular Janome with 6" harp space and I'm looking for that Juki for several (will give it a try in September). I was wondering if the 2" missing were causing a difference. I'm happy you say it didn't. Upgrading from 6" to 9" seems like a dream come true.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Isn't amazing how deadlines come rushing up . One day its months away and the next its just short weeks. I do love the free form design of your quilting, i have been contemplating doing somthing similar around some appliqued blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was worried when you said September, but I see you are well along. Which show will it be at? I'd love to see it in person. :D

    Oh, are the butterflies broderie perse? They look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another stunning piece of work, the fussier quilting on the hexis and stars make all the difference too. I reckon half your skill is in the manipulation of the quilt when its under the harp area! I'd end up smothering myself with quilt wrapped round my shoulders and tween my legs I'm convinced lol
    Ive been trying to arrange a day to meet the Quilt Museum Curator but its proving really difficult, we are both tied up on suggested days, till October !
    I also wanted to view the QM Farnborough Coverlet - have you seen its piccy on the site? I adore it !
    http://www.quiltmuseum.org.uk/collections/heritage/farnborough-coverlet.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am always fascinated by your quilting karen!!
    Your hexies are beautiful.. I like the fabric you use....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such beautiful work, Karen! That quilt is going to be a winner for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow you have some serious FMQ skills! My fingers thank you for the stiletto suggestion:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amazing! The 81 quilt is amazing! Did you applique the hexi flowers and stars? Love the lozagons block too. Two fabulous quilts. Wonderful work.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've never met anyone who can accomplish so much in 30 minutes. The quilting for 81 is perfection.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your quilting is stunning! Your Lozagon block is outstanding as well...love the fussy cut roses you have done here....

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think the Lozagon block is wonderful just the way it is. I'd love to make a whole quilt that looked like this. Enjoy your blogcation.

    ReplyDelete