Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Gift giving time and a QAL

Michele Bilyeu of With Heart and Hands has put together a staggering list of free patterns and tutorials. You will find the listing here.  If you need to make a few gifts check out this list but make yourself a cup of something first because it is a very long and interesting list! Michele looks tuckered out from all her hard work!


One of my readers has asked me to consider a quilt along (QAL) for the new year. She suggested a small piece that would finish roughly 40" square. I think she has a space on her wall about that size! I've got some ideas that combine little touches of many different techniques that I've blogged about this year  but nothing that is overly complicated! And it would be scrappy so you wouldn't have to invest in yardage.

There would be a little bit of English paper piecing!


I would add some little embroidered details but nothing complicated and they would be optional!


How about a little bit of applique (but nothing fussy)?


And of course there would be patchwork!


So what I would like to know from you is would you be interested in participating? It would be free of course. How often would you like me to post the pattern installments, biweekly or monthly? Would you prefer to see the finished quilt beforehand or would you be happy to just watch the quilt evolve with each installment? Leave me a comment and let me know what you think so I can get started planning and working!

Right, time for me to pull out a sketch pad and get designing! Until I post again, happy sewing!

21 comments:

  1. Great idea I would love to join in. I would be happy with bi weekly just because i am always impatient to see the end result.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel the same way! I like to see the next installment ASAP, even if I'm not ready for it! I just can't wait to see what's next!

      Delete
  2. Hey, Karen
    I'm in, love your work and know it will be a fun project. I just happen to a little free space in my project list ~~ I've ditched Love Entwined.. After picking it up three or four times to start on Novembers part, I realized I just wasn't so into it. My New Years resolution ~~ work only on projects I enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great New Year's resolution! I won't be ditching this QAL quilt because I'm really liking the way it is developing! I hope you like it too!

      Delete
  3. Wonderful idea. Count me in. I am happy with whatever time frame works for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terrific! I hope you'll like what I'm doing! I'm pretty sure that you will!

      Delete
  4. Wonderful idea Karen, I'd love to participate, monthly installments would work for me but will go with whatever you decide.
    I'd lke to see the quilt "evolve" that way I just jump in and follow instructions, I'm afraid that if I see the finished work I'll think that it'd be too difficult for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'll keep the finished quilt a secret but there are a few who would like to see it before they start so I can always email them the picture but keep it a secret for the rest!

      Delete
  5. Count me in Karen! I would be good with biweekly or monthly. I like surprises so I would be OK with not seeing the finished project ahead of time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Surprise it is! I'm so excited that there is interest in this project!

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Well I hope you find your voice and let me know what you think of the quilt once I start posting the instructions!

      Delete
  7. Count me in, too. I prefer bi-monthly and like the adventure of not knowing the end design.

    Karen, your blog is part of my morning read while waking up with my coffee in bed. I love starting my days this way. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nellie and it is so nice to hear from you and I'm happy you want to participate!

      Delete
  8. That sounds like a good idea, monthly instalments would mean I'd have time to complete each part and I must admit to liking to see what it is I'll be making at the start!

    ukcitycrafter@live.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not going to make each installment onerous. My goal is that you would be able to complete each step in an hour or two.

      Delete
  9. I have tried to get CQ yahoo groups to do this but no interest. This will be great and looking forward to seeing your design. Monthly would be okay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like what I do and that you might want to make a quilt too!

      Delete
  10. I love your blog and have learnt so much from you. Please count me in.

    ReplyDelete