Tuesday, November 12, 2013

A Few of My Favourite Things

<a href="http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/6970597/?claim=6yvax9ta82k">Follow my blog with Bloglovin</a>

I continue to work on fixing the problems with the tiny parallelograms for the border of my Love Entwined quilt. When I say tiny I mean that two of them stitched together measure 1 1/2"! I shan't make that mistake again. Rather than bore you with my progress I pulled out an old quilt that I made many years ago.

I was in a clearance book store back in the mid 1990s and I found a quilting book. There were some unusual quilts and the book was only a few dollars so I bought it. I've made two quilts from that book. The first was given as a gift and the second I kept for myself. I call my quilt A Few of My Favourite Things. What I didn't realize when I bought this book was that is was imported from Japan and the translation into English was not very good so making this quilt, especially the border, was a huge challenge. When I am able to get outside and photograph the entire quilt you will see what I mean! For now I thought I would show you the first four blocks from the quilt.

These red work motifs are all hand embroidered with two strands of blue floss. Not the prettiest profile on the little girl but that was what the pattern called for!


The wild rose grows in Ontario so I loved this little motif because it speaks of the summer and the cottage.


This quilt was the perfect opportunity to make use of my large collection of 1930s prints. The little bow ties were another challenge for me.


And here my darlings is the last block for today! I think it is very old timey!


I hope you enjoy these blocks. I'll show you more tomorrow and I'll try to remember where I put the book so I can show it to you.  For now it is time to get back to correcting my mistakes in Love Entwined!

Until I post again, happy sewing!

3 comments:

  1. Those blocks really look old and beautiful. You did a great job choosing fabrics! Love that zig zag border! I'm sorry you had to do them twice! I know the feeling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could not get the pattern to work. Ended up making mine do. If the quilt police come by, well I guess they can have it. I don't follow the yahoo group, but wonder if anyone could make the pattern work. Mine suits me, and that's all that matters to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed seeing these, I have quite a love for embroidered blocks at the moment and have been spending time Googling redwork patterns.

    ReplyDelete