Thursday, August 1, 2013

Swirls in Butterscotch Ripple and basting hexagons

I'm working away on two projects, one for me and one for you! Butterscotch Ripple is coming along nicely now that I have a full head of steam. All of the feathers in the diamonds are done as is the next border of circles. I've now filled some of the inner diamonds with swirls. There will be some filled with feathers but I've not yet decided on the feather motif that I will use. Tomorrow I'll make the decision after al of the swirls are quilted.



The second project I am working on is the first of two instruction booklets for English paper piecing. It is coming along a littler slower than I had hoped but that is because I am trying to provide as much detail as possible, especially for beginners. The second booklet will discuss foundation pieced hexagons and that is in the works too!

One of the things I'm writing about is threat basting hexagons. There are two different methods that I am aware of: with one method the basting thread is removed and in the other it remains in the quilt. The following pictures show both methods. The thread pierces the fabric and the paper of the hexagon on the left and the basting thread will be removed. In the hexagon on the right the basting thread only pierces the fabric so it will remain in the hexagon . I've used black thread so that you can see the basting.



Each method has its place but I prefer the method that stitches the fabric to the paper hexagon. There are three reasons for my preference: I find that the folds and corners are crisp with this method, I can see the basting threads on the right side of the quilt so I know if a paper is still in the hexagon and I don't need to worry about thread colour (a dark colour basting thread that is left in could potentially show through the fabric in the finished quilt). If I am foundation piecing the hexagons I always baste through the fabric and the paper.

And speaking of foundation piecing, here's another foundation pieced star that is surprisingly easy! Both stars are made from the same template.

 

Some foundation pieced hexagons have seams that run into corners and when sewing the hexagons together after the foundation piecing they can be a little tricky because of the bulk at the corner. With this hexagon template there are no seams that run into corners so the stitching together of the foundation pieced hexagons is a breeze!


So that's what I'm working on. My brother is making a violin!


He did all this inlay work. It is called purfling!


And here's what's in the garden today!

Obedient plant

Grazing on the forest canopy

Until I post again, happy sewing!

4 comments:

  1. I was interested to see your 2 ways of basting and the reasons you might chose either way. I just started using the "Sewline" glue pen.
    I will try that star, it looks fab. In fact I will try them all when DH is at golf and I can spread out and make a mess LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been tempted to try a Sewline glue pen. I do like thread basting because it is the kind of project that I can work on wherever I go!

      Glad you like the star and hope you have fun with it!

      Delete
  2. There is way way too much talent in your family. Love the violin looks great. I have only made about a dozen hexiegons very small ones but put them away to do other projects. Like the LE quilt with Esther Aliu and I really do not have much experience with hand appliqué but boy I am learning LOL.
    Bunny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do like to keep busy in my family! The Love Entwined quilt is beautiful and I've been watching your progress. It is going to be a stunner!

      Delete