Monday, July 22, 2013

Filling the elongated hexagons in the Anna H quilt and what the Turtle Girls got up to

There are some things I just don't like doing and filling bobbins is one of them!


One of the reasons I dislike filling bobbins is that I don't like having to take off my thread, load my bobbin thread, rethread the machine and then fill the bobbins. I do a bunch at once but eventually they need filling again!

My friend Barbara asked me about what I thought about bobbin winders. These are little machines that are used exclusively to fill bobbins. I'm starting to think that maybe I might just invest in one. I've read some reviews and they seem to do a good job and it is something I could do in the evening while I watch TV. Does anyone out there have any experience with these devices and if so would you recommend them to others? I would love to know.

I have gone through LOTS of bobbins quilting Mom's Anna quilt but the end is in sight! I now have a plan for the elongated hexagon inner border. Figure 8 is a comfortable shape for me to draw and stitch as are feathers. If you can doodle it you can likely quilt it with ease!


All of the elongated hexagons were previously stitched in the ditch. To quilt the design above I first stitched just inside the top and bottom edges of the middle strip of hexagons and then quilted the figure 8. The 8s don't have to be perfect or exact - the eye sees the whole, not the parts.


Next I quilted just inside the top edge of the top row of elongated hexagons, then the feathers were quilted and the feathers were echoed.


I repeated the same step with the bottom elongated hexagons. I did the same on the other three borders around the centre panel. Finito!


And this is the view from the back.


Tomorrow I move on to the outside edge of the swag! More thinking needed!

Yesterday I told you I caught those naughty Turtle Girls heading out to the garden with my little silk quilt. And what do you think they told me they were going to do? Yoga!

Hurry up - run! I see a good spot for yoga!
 
They started with some gentle stretches
 
Downward turtle? Don't you mean downward dog?  And I can't do that!
 
Turtle Girl perseveres on her own and gives cobra a go. Stretch!!!! Inhale, exhale breathe. Ahhhh!
 
Happy baby, or happy turtle as she calls it,  is very good for the back - like a gentle massage! Oh - it feels very nice but I'm pooped! Best not overdo things first time!
 
Forget yoga! This is more like it - let's just hang out with the goldfish!
 
Until I post again, stretch, breathe and happy sewing!

5 comments:

  1. Your stories are a great source of amusement Karen and your quilts a huge source of delight! I am constantly amazed by your creativity, especially when dreaming up great ways to quilt your masterpieces. You were born to quilt! :)

    Natalie xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Natalie! I don't know that I was born to quilt but I'm sure having a lot of fun doing it now that I've gained some confidence. And that comes with practice!

      As for the stories, I make myself laugh too!

      Karen

      Delete
  2. Karen you are so creative, and as I said before you are a great story teller too.
    This quilt is just gorgeous. thank you for sharing your quilting and to tell us these amusing stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And thank you Grace for reading my blog and commenting! It is so good to know that there is an appetite for what I am doing!
      Karen

      Delete