Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Butterscotch Ripple today and another hexagon

The border adjustment is corrected and the stitch in the ditch is done! Woo hoo! Now the fun begins. I started working in the border but quickly lost interest so I've been sketching and pondering how to quilt the diamonds.


Feathers are getting easier and easier and once you have then nailed they are a great way to fill spaces quickly and elegantly! I pulled out my pad of paper and this is what I have come up with thus far. Curly queues in the corners and feathers in the spaces in between. I don't know how I will fill the smaller diamond in the centre but it will come to me!

The first step was to draw some guide lines on the diamond with my blue water soluble fabric marker.


And here is a close-up of the marking for the curly queue.
 

From there it was time to just dive in and quilt. Once again I am using Superior Monopoly on top and Superior The Bottom Line in the bobbin. I want the texture to show, not the thread. Here is the first diamond quilted.

 
And the second is also done! I may go back and echo around the feathers to give a little more dimension.


I'm thinking of sewing another diamond border and filling it with little circles and then for the very centre some feathery curly queues. I'll give it some thought while I work on the other diamonds.

How about another foundation pieced hexagon? For those of you who are new to my blog you can read about how I make these hexagons in my posts dated  May 30, June 3June 13 and June 28.

This is a fun easy variation of the star that I shared in an earlier post. Depending on your colour choices it could be very effective!

 
And this is the template I used to make this block!
 

I did a quick tour of the garden this morning with Forest Gumby. We were downwind from a couple of critters and we wanted to get a closer look so we snuck up behind them! I managed to get this picture before they caught wind of us and took off into the undergrowth!
 

Lucky for me one of them stopped and turned and just as he did I snapped this picture!


I then went through my old pictures of the garden and low and behold, there they were again! Remember this one? I'll have to keep my eyes open for these two cuties!
 
 
Well that's it for today. Until I post again, keep your eyes open for rabbits and happy sewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment