Saturday, June 29, 2013

The finished tote bag and new tutorial for multiple fussy cuts

I finished the tote bag for the Secret Tote Bag Swap hosted by Lia's Handmades. It was so much fun making this bag and I must confess that for all of the sewing and quilting I've done over the years I have never made a tote bag. I am in L-O-V-E with this bag and if my secret partner isn't crazy about it I know where it can find a very good home....with me! And Lia says she would like to have it too!  I had so much fun with the applique, embroidery and beading. Check out my quick demo for making bees under the tabe Tips and Tutorials. So here it is!

Side A

Side B

Corner close-up including handle

Now for some fun fussing cutting. I'm sure you know that fussy cutting simply means cutting selected images or motifs from your fabric. Just one fussy cut patch in the centre of a block is pretty but cutting several and sewing them together can create unexpected new patterns. This block has a fussy cut border and centre.


You can fussy cut for any type of block but I am partial to hexagons and diamonds (three diamonds make a hexagon) so that's what I'll focus on. There are a number of ways to fussy cut multiple motifs but I like to do things in a way that involves the least amount of effort on my part. I've written up a new little tutorial titled Fussy Cutting Multiple Patches with Window and Clear Templates and it is a follow-up to my tutorial Making and Using Hexagon Templates for Fabulous Fussy Cuts. I hope you enjoy this simple fussy cutting method and that you'll make some spectacular blocks!

I have another fussy cutting technique that is perfect for diamonds but I'll leave that one for another day. I used it to make a quilt that I call Mom's Flower Beds. I haven't shown you the entire quilt yet but there have been a few sneak peaks! And here is one to whet your appetite!


I would love to hear what you think of these two tutorials so please feel free to comment or email! And if you see that I've done something and you are sure how I did it, post a comment or email me. I am more than happy to share what I do with others.

And now how about a quick look in the garden!

Lavender

 Foxtail Lilly

Species clematis

Columbine

Until I post again, happy sewing!

4 comments:

  1. I really adore your bag, you should go in production of these ;) What do I have to do for you to make me one, too? We should've made our own private swap just you and me! LOL ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great looking bag. It is all about the fabric and size too.
    Nice job for the first time. Maybe you need to make a few more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is that a hint? I get the sense that you and Lia want me to make bags for you!!!!

      Delete