Monday, June 10, 2013

Combining techniques and methods and introducing Brain Rock

For my daily readers, I won't be posting tomorrow because I'll be out having fun all day! But I'll be back on Wednesday with some hexagon ideas that I think you might like!

I like to do what works for me and that could be entirely different from what works for you. In order to get the effect I want I might have to combine techniques. For example, yesterday I showed you how I combined applique, inking and beading to make a bee!

 
Sometimes I add a little embroidery! Here are some bees that combines applique, ink and embroidery.

 

 
And I’ve also combined ink and watercolour paints with textile medium to make these bugs on a quilt that I call “Bed Bugs”.

 
You can combine other techniques such as hand and machine quilting. Why not? I have a hexagon and diamonds quilt that I will show you one of these days. I hand quilted inside each hexagon and diamond.


 
When I got to the border I wanted feathers and I was not going to hand quilt them. The main reason is that I really don’t like marking quilts and the few times I’ve tried to mark feathers on a border it was more frustration that fun. Secondly I’m a little on the lazy side and I just wanted the quilt done! I had read enough books and was confident enough with my machine quilting skills that I was sure I could machine quilt feathers and the only marking I would need is the spine. And that’s exactly what I did!

 

I am pleased with the result. I even popped a little bit of machine quilting in the half hexagons. Don’t let anyone tell you can’t combine techniques or methods OR colours. As far as I know there is no prison for wayward quilters so go for it! Do what works for you, makes you happy and gets you excited! If it just doesn't work, it will be your little secret!
 
I’ve added a few more bugs to the tote bag including a couple of spiders. I used my Pigma pen to draw on the spider webs and I had a small scrap of fabric with circles. I thought it would make a nice spider body so I appliqued them down.
 


 

Then I embroidered the head and used my Pigma pen to draw on the legs. It isn’t realistic but it works and I like them a lot!

 
It is a rainy day today so I’m not going out in the garden to take pictures. I inevitably hear a crunch and suffer terrible guilt for ending the life of a snail. So instead I’ll leave you with a picture of another curio from the garden, Brain Rock! This fossilized coral is large and lovely! It keeps Saturn Rick company out in the garden!
 



 
Until I post again, happy sewing!

Post Script: I couldn't get out to the garden so the garden came to me!

 

7 comments:

  1. A very lucky somebody is going to get a one of a kind "Karen" original. I hope we get to see it when it is finished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will most definitely post a picture of the finished tote bag! I hope she likes it!

      Delete
  2. As much as I hate spiders in reality, but you make them look totally cool! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lia - I have it on good authority that the recipient likes spiders. However if spiders aren't your thing, it could just as easily become a beetle or a lady bug. Make the body narrower and reduce the number of lets from 8 to six and voila! A new bug! Hmmm, maybe I should make some beetles too!

      Delete
  3. I envy your machine quilting skills - I'm simply a bit pants at machine quilting, unless it involves straight lines :) Your tote is coming along beautifully - can't wait to see the finished bag x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks but it all comes down to practice. I recently saw one of my earlier quilts and it was not pretty - well at least the quilting wasn't pretty. Now I think my quilting is pretty...not perfect but pretty. I still need more practice!

      Delete
  4. Lovely! I am one of those unusual people who likes spiders :-)

    ReplyDelete