Monday, April 15, 2013

Trunk Show and a teaser!


Who’s up for a little trunk show? My Mom (Anne) has made quite a few quilts with an African theme. She particularly likes to make quilts that include women and children. Her sense of colour is quite striking and her work is really beautiful. When you consider that she is almost 93 I think you'll agree that both Anne and her work are pretty amazing.  Feel free to share a comment or email me and I'll make sure that she gets the messages! So here we go!

 This first quilt was inspired by a wall hanging titled Church Ladies by Dr. Michele David. Her website is Creole-Creations. I would like to thank Dr. David for giving me permission so share pictures of Anne's quilt that was inspired by Church Ladies. The first picture is the quilt back. Mom used two panels and sewed them together to create the mirror image. Fabric was also added to the sides to make the backing the right size. The second picture is the front of the quilt.
 

 

 
The following pieces are all original designs. Mom loves to embellish with beads, embroidery and jewelry findings. Most of these quilts measure in the vicinity of 14" x 18" or so. I've posted pictures of the quilt and some close-ups.
 
 
 
 
 
 


 
 
 
 
 
 


And now for something of mine and I'm going to tease you a little! I’ll reveal little bits of my quilt and once your appetite is whetted I’ll show you the whole thing! The title of the quilt is “Flora and Fauna, Parts of the Garden” and it measures 29.5" square; it was made for a Guild challenge. There were three challenge fabrics from Northcott. They were a bright turquoise with gold dragonflies, a black background with long stem red roses (from Romancing the Rose) and a white ground with pink and mauve asters. Unfortunately none of these fabrics were my taste so I had to “hide” them in my quilt. The finished quilt measures 29 ½” square. As it has a garden theme it is loaded with all sorts of things you would find in a boreal garden! But there are no snails in this one! Today’s teaser is a walking stick which is an insect (upper right hand corner). The body is made from the stem of a rose. Hope I’ve piqued your interest!

 
And today is the last day to vote in Quilting Gallery's Show and Tell. If you haven't voted yet there's still a little time. My piece is titled "There's a Snail in Grandma's Flower Garden".
 
Until I post again, happy sewing!

3 comments:

  1. I'm in love with all the details! These are all gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll pass the compliment. Mom will be delighted!

      Delete
  2. Your mother's quilts are wonderful! Her ladies have personality. Hope I'm still going as strong as she is when (IF) I get to my 90's.

    ReplyDelete